Saturday, January 2, 2010

Literally "In Tita's Kitchen"

This new year is one of adventures- but those adventures that play out of a frugal wallet. I have spent most of my life living pay check to pay check...and I am pretty tired of it, for sure. So, at the beginning of my 40th year, I plan to get my act together. I am not a spend thrift or up to my neck in credit card debt (more on that later), moreover, I am just not frugal enough. Money burns through my hands and I need to stop that.

This blog is more of an accountability measure (note my fancy picture -that was 25 pounds ago when I was really sticking to my weight management- more on that later, too) I am thinking of this as weight watchers for people who want to be more frugal. Frugal not to be confused with cheap, I just want to see what quality of life will be like if I stick to our family budget, consume less, and pay attention more.

I started a family budget, now, I have done this in the past- but have never stuck to it - hence the need for a blog- but it is done and we are two days into the new year and still on track- yee haw.

So, here is my first tip of the new year... (after making a budget that is)- homemade dog biscuits...cheaper & healthier for your furry friend. My mother-in-law makes the best dog treats in town.

Recipie courtesy of:

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Recipes.htm

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe
Everyday Biscuits


2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons dry parsley
2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons honey
1 egg
5-6 cups whole wheat flour
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).


In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the parsley, garlic, broth, honey, and egg. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.

Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Using small bone-shaped cookie cutters, make biscuits! Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Let cool overnight. (After we finish baking all batches of biscuits, we turn off the oven, then spread all the biscuits out on one baking sheet and set them in the oven to cool overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crispier and crunchier.)

Makes several dozen small bones that keep and freeze well. We like these biscuits because they're quick and easy and we always have the ingredients on hand to make them. Our boys like them because they're good!

No comments:

Post a Comment