Monday, January 4, 2010

Re-purposing




I have been on vacation since December 19 and have one more week to go. I have officially sat around as much as I possibly can...so it is time to get to work. During my off time, I have been pining for that dream house on HGTV as well as watching my fair share of home improvement shows. There are a few things that really really bug me... such as, Where in the H- E - double hockey sticks do first time buyers get in upwards of $500 K to spend on their first home? Then, where do they get an additional liquid $25K to "renovate"... these shows are so sureal! ... but I digress because this is a blog about being frugal.

Today we rearranged the furniture in our house in order to de-clutter and freshen it up. Our budget, zero- so we spent...zero,sometimes when you need a household 'pick me up' it isn't so necessary to spend 'x' amount of dollars to create a more homey feel. All of our furniture is second hand (except for our beds);
there are times that I feel really bad about this like I have broken a cosmic law that states all furniture must come from Laura Ashley or IKEA or Pier 1. Only to break yet another cosmic law and put said second-hand furniture in our ***gasp*** rental house. But then, I say, cosmic laws be damned- for now this is our reality!!

Back to the re-arranging... we put my favorite chair in our bedroom with a nice table, I am looking forward to cuddling up with a good book, from the library, and closing out the teenagers who also reside in my house. The point being, that up grades to your home are what you make them. my mom and I were discussing this very topic the other night, when is 'enough', 'enough'? If we stick to our budget, this time next year, we will be able to purchase a NEW furniture item- or maybe two slightly used furniture items to replace what we have now. But for now, I will be satisfied with what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment