Monday, January 11, 2010

On the subject of fruit & haircuts






A friend of mine recently said, "knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing that it doesn't go in a fruit salad." I couldn't agree more.

As I was tempted to cut my own bangs yesterday... I stepped away from the ledge (of no return)and realized that I was being CHEAP. In my head, I know that I can save money by cutting my own hair- but that is not wisdom, actually it is a really bad idea. I will never forget some of my hair-cuts from the 80's that were self-imposed.

It is said that "knowledge is power", while I agree with that, perhaps, "wisdom is power" would be a better adage. There is such a difference between being cheap and frugal, in effort to stay focused, I think that it is really easy to become cheap (envision someone separating 2-ply toilet paper here). Here are some of the wisdom nuggets that I have received from the last few days.

**A gallon of white vinegar (is worth a pound of cure), my friend Becky, uses it for cooking, cleaning and laundry. What a great way to stretch a dollar and stay healthy-no chemicals.

**My friend Angie told me that it is proven that one can save up to 30% off of their grocery bill by paying with cash! Imagine.

**When I talked to the electric company a few days ago, they said that they have an interactive energy quiz that I can take. Once complete, it will give me an idea of areas in my home where I can save on the bill. I am also going to budget billing each month so that I won't get hit so hard next winter- $400 this month was a lot.

**My new favorites are Free-cycle.org and Craigslist.com. Both sites have the option of posting items that one wants to get rid of and also look for items that they might need. My friend Erica received a brand-new microwave oven for FREE from free-cycle and my friend C.J. was able to get fly-fishing reels for very little on craigslist.

**I know that there are a lot of people out there that are coupon clippers and comparison shoppers & I know that I can save a lot at the check out that way, too. There was a lady on the Today show, last week, who bought over $100 worth of groceries for a QUARTER (!) by using coupons. There is only one grocery store where I live, so that would take a lot more planning on my part since I would have to leave town in order to comparison shop- but it may be an idea for those who live in a less rural community.




**Finally, another one of my friends reminded me of the "great value" that can take place when purchasing the off brand or store brand in your favorite stores. They are very often the very same product, just labeled differently. Seriously, how different are Del Monte Peas & Great Value Peas...

No comments:

Post a Comment